From the Committee, Sway Fencing Club: an Extraordinary General Meeting will be held Monday 16th December, Brockenhurst Sports Centre at 8.15pm until approx. 8.45pm, to discuss the future of the club.
In spite of a hugely successful three seasons at Brockenhurst, the club finds the challenging current season about to become more difficult with the further loss of key personnel.
It is with great sadness that Vicki Pritchard and Robin Catling have announced their withdrawal from the club with their impending move to Devon. This sudden loss of coaching and admin resource in an already depleted club only adds to the need to make drastic changes in the way that the club operates.
On which note, attendance at the seniors session is at an all-time low, owing to the personal circumstances of the majority of the adult membership, and we have little sign of new members coming in to refill the ranks. This is clearly untenable.
We have attempted to find additional coaches from outside the New Forest, but so far have been unable to find any able to commit on a full time basis. There is also the on-going lack of volunteer resource to fill the administrative roles, as evidenced by the previous three AGMs, given that the club does not run without considerable effort.
So it falls to an EGM of the membership to consider the following motions:
- Closure of the seniors section.
- Relocation or merger of the juniors section with Lymington Fencing Club.
- Other measures to wind up Sway Fencing Club.
The Committee will make recommendation to the membership of the following for 2014:
- That the seniors session be closed.
- That the juniors section relocate to Lymington Fencing Club (Priestlands School, Lymington), Tuesdays.
- That Brockenhurst College be vacated as a venue.
- That a new joint committee be formed to decide the formal merger of the two clubs.
Given the joint efforts of Sway and Lymington coaches working at both clubs and the welcome extended by Lymington to Sway fencers, a joint venture is seen as a positive way forward for fencing in the New Forest. The remaining Sway coaches have already committed to supporting the joint venture.
- It is not recommended that Sway Fencing Club be entirely dissolved at this time.
For the EGM:
- All members are strongly urged to attend to vote on these recommendations.
- All senior members have one vote.
- All junior members are entitled to one parental vote.
- Visitors and additional family members may not vote.
Please attend on December 16th, as this directly affects the future of your club.